Sunday, September 23, 2007

Anastasia Buys a Painting - The Killer vs. The Artist

Anastasia Buys a Painting - The Killer vs. The Artist

Anastasia Buys a Painting - The Killer vs. The Artist

Play Anastasia's Diary Entry

Dear Diary,
I just got back from a very interesting expedition. Let me start from the beginning. It is not often that I Anastasia go outdoors. But this was necessary.... You see my collection of knives were not doing so well.
Oh what is it that you are saying dear diary? Oh no darling, my knives are not sick, but they are getting blunt too easily, probably because of frequent use. And it is very frustrating to cut meat with a dull knife. Especially when the knife begins to break when trying to chop a backbone in 2 pieces.

Oh darling diary, I do not mean to beat you like that. But this has caused me an overwhelming amount of frustration. What I needed was a knife with a strong handle and a sharp long blade. It is at the flea market where one can hope to find such an unusual knife, so to the flea market I went.

I passed a stall filled with all sorts of quaint oddities. On top if it was a painting. It was a rough sketch of a rotting corpse against a bright orange background. There was something, very soothing and relaxing about this painting. The artist of this painting was sitting calmly on a chair and looked quite normal, but I sensed from his painting that something was amiss about him.

What has inspired you to paint this? I asked..
“Life” He replied. ”Life is the inspiration.“

Ha ha ha, this answer made me chuckle.
“Why, life inspires some to kill as well.” I said

The artist remained quiet. I could that this was an artist of few words, but his words were reflected in his painting. Thus the only way to converse with this artist was to read his painting. It is his creation that will reveal who he is.

As I stared at the painting, I began to realize that an artist and a killer are very much alike.The artist paints with passion, uses colors to express his emotions, draws images to portray his feelings and news.

Similarly, a killer kills with passion as well. Each stab into the flesh reflects her feelings. Each fresh kill reflects her emotions. Strong emotions are only found in unusual people. Strong emotions are a form of defiance. A defiance against living in a constricted human society.

In the end, the artist is happy and has a sense of accomplishment when he finishes his painting. He has left a deep mark in this world. Likewise, the killer is very happy at each human life, she takes. Arranging the dead body against a bright orange carpet is a display of her accomplishments. She has left a deep mark in this world as well.

In this case, this particular artist has created an image of a corpse while the killer has created an actual physical corpse. Similar creations by similar people. I now had to have this painting, for it had an uncanny way of calling out to me. I paid the artist the full price for this painting. I wondered if I should have haggled, for that seems to be the sort of thing that one does at a flea market. But I Anastasia do not haggle. I knew that if I wanted a lower price for it, all I had to do was take away the life of this artist and walk off with his painting. Now that’s a deal!!

But I knew that would not be a wise decision, for I am sort of eager to see what this artist would paint next. Plus I had other things to buy at this flea market and I needed to save my bullets. You see I carry this shot gun in a large shopping bag, in the event that I REALLY needed to haggle..

As the artist packet the painting in brown paper, I couldn’t help but say to him –
“Do you know that it is the 2 of us have in common?”
He paused what he was doing and looked up at me.

“We are both disharmonious members of society darling…” I said

Without saying a word, the artist handed me the newly packaged painting and as I looked closer I noticed he had a slight smile on his face.
This artist knew exactly what I meant.
The painting of the rotted corpse now hangs in my living room. What strikes me the most about this painting is its bright orange background, for it matches exactly with the orange carpet of my living room on which this dead body lies on

And you know my darling diary, it is not often one finds a painting that matches ones carpet.

Anastasia


View all of Anastasia Video Diary Entries by clicking here


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home